There are lots of reasons to sell a home in Denver. Add bedrooms, downsize, move away from the city, move closer to the city. The list continues. The process may begin with your reason but it is closely followed by selecting an agent to represent you during the transaction. Preparing your home for market can seem like a daunting task, but selecting your realtor based on a careful set of criteria will save you time, money, and valuable energy.
Where to Look for a Realtor in Denver
With an abundance of real estate agents in Denver, selecting the right one may seem like searching for a needle in a haystack. However, when you consider some of the resources available, the process begins to seem a lot more manageable. Here are some of the best ways to find an agent that’s right for you:
- Recommendations: Ask friends, family, and neighbors, for a recommendation! With a trusted recommendation comes an assurance that the agent has proven him or herself once and is capable of doing it again. The more questions you ask the recommender, the more details you will glean about what their experience was really like. Ask the tougher questions. What specifically did they like about their agent’s performance? What did they specifically dislike? Would they use the same agent again? Then ask yourself how your needs compare to your recommenders. The more information you have, the better off you’ll be deciding if this particular agent can meet or even exceed your particular expectations. Here what Corken + Company clients have to say here.
- Denver Open Houses: Even if you aren’t looking to buy yet, there are a few benefits to attending open houses in your neighborhood and in other areas of Denver. Not only will you have a better understanding of competitive list prices and the current state of demand, but you will also meet a lot of local agents. Agents should be friendly, confident, and forthcoming. A good agent won’t mind being vetted a little and will love the opportunity to tell you more about their business approach and strategy. You don’t even have to tell them you are currently on the hunt for an agent to list your home. Just get to know them! From this type of informal personal interaction, you should be able to tell fairly quickly if the professional chemistry is there.
- Neighborhood Real Estate Signs: As you walk the dog, drive the kids to sports practices, or pick up take out on your way home from work, pay attention to the numerous agents’ ads all over Denver. You can take a photo of the sign and call the agent directly or do some of your own homework beforehand with a quick Google search.
- Online Search: These days, the first place we all typically start is the internet. Performing an online search via Realtor.com will allow you to quickly scroll through your options and compare and contrast performance and client testimonials. While we do recommend meeting a few of the agents that interest you in person, an online search is still a helpful tool to aide in your initial search and narrow down your list. Visit https://www.corken.co/services/ for all of the services we can provide.
Questions to Ask Your Realtor
Buyers and sellers have very different needs, so it’s important to know what to ask your potential agent right off the bat to determine if it’s a good fit. Here are a few of the essential questions you should have answers to:
- How long have you been selling real estate?
While this may seem like an obvious question, it is important to get an idea of the Denver real estate agent’s history in selling and listing homes. Years and years of experience doesn’t necessarily equate directly to success, but it is good indicator. It is difficult to survive in the industry for very long without having found at least some success. Now newer agents can often come with fresh perspectives and tons of determination (which, depending on the circumstances may be just what you are looking for), but an experienced agent comes with resources, connections, confidence and sometimes even a team or brokerage to offer additional support. Corken + Company has been providing real estate solutions for over 20 years.
- What experience do you have in my immediate area?
Denver is big and each neighborhood is so unique. In your agent, you want a neighborhood expert, not someone who is spread thin all over the Denver Metro area. From school districts to public transportation, gyms and parks to grocery stores and shopping, you want a sales agent who knows the area well. Well enough not only to put a price on it but also to sell it at that price to prospective buyers. This should also help you determine what types of homes they specialize in selling.
- Are you part of a team?
There are many benefits to choosing a Denver sales agent who is part of a team. You will have access to a wide range of experience levels, expertise, and resources should you need help with any unique situation that arises. However, be sure to inquire about your agent’s precise role on their team. You don’t want to start working with a listing agent you love, only to find you’re passed around as time goes on. Our team at Corken + Company includes stagers, a marketing team, professional organizers, a leasing and property management team, and more!
- What fees can I expect to pay?
Commission can vary from agent to agent. Ask if you will pay any fees associated with MLS, marketing, early cancellation, or anything that is not included in the commission rate. This conversation should also cover their contract and what all it covers. Take great care and patience here to be thorough. Both parties should be fully aware of exactly what they are betting themselves into and how exactly to get out if the situation demands..
When you think you’ve found your match, establish a means and manner by which to communicate effectively. You will have to do a lot of it with your agent over the coming months. Set your preferences and expectations clearly.
Your Denver sales agent is your advocate and should earn the privilege to sell your home. Don’t settle for anything less. Do your research and ask lots of questions! At Corken + Company, we pride ourselves in providing concierge style services. This means tailoring your experience to work for your needs.
If you’re looking to sell a home in Denver and would like to speak with an experienced and respected agent, please reach out to Corken + Company…providing Real Estate Solutions without Limits for over twenty years.